Wednesday, April 27, 2011

When I entered the HQ, I already knew what I had to do. The "DRINK ME" key held fast in my grip, I made my way toward the door that was previously forbidden to me. I inserted the key into the hole and, unsurprisingly, the tumbler turned, and the door unlocked. My palms sweaty and hands shaking, I pushed the door open.

The first thing that hit me was the overwhelming, ever-present stench. I can't place what it is but it can't be good. A red carpet stretches down in front of me, leading down a long, narrow hallway lined with bookshelves. I'm actually stopping to look at some of them now.

Most of the books appear to be written by "the Culling sisters", which I find confusing. I thought the Cullings were brothers? The statues at the gardens seemed to suggest as much. I grabbed a book off the shelf at random--this one is called "The Book of the Order" by the Culling sisters. The inside cover says "Lettie and Rose Culling". I'm flipping through the pages now and I found something interesting:

THE FIVE PETALS CREED

A daffodil for truth
A pansy for remembrance
An amaryllis for success
A hydrangea for perseverance
A dahlia for betrayal.

A dahlia for betrayal? Could that same dahlia be my namesake?

I've just heard a noise down the hallway and suddenly I'm terrified.